Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Land of the Free

At the time of this blog post, Sen. Barack Obama has been announced as President Elect.

This whole day has been very interesting. From voting at the polls to watching the political analysts, I must say today has been fascinating.

I feel great pride today because I am a citizen of the United States. I can participate in my government and my voice can mesh with my fellow citizens and can be heard.

We are not ruled by some monarch or priest who imposes his will upon us based on some obscure divine law made up at his own whim.

And despite my personal rejection of religious faith, I must say that I am impressed by the spiritual aspect of so many Americans rallying for a singular cause. At times, religion and god can inspire people in a positive ways. And sometimes as skeptics, we discount that fact.

People cried today out of joy at Mr. Obama's election. And people cried at Sen. John McCain's defeat.

I must also say that Mr. McCain's concession speech was a noble attempt to remind all Americans to stand behind our new President Elect, no matter the political or racial differences. He urged his supporters not look down upon African-Americans who celebrate this great evening with pride and happiness.

This openness is wonderful and precious. To have religion or not. To agree or disagree. To be in the racial majority or minority -- we are all free. We all can pursue happiness. We are all American.
blog comments powered by Disqus