Friday, April 30, 2010

Close to Home

Constance McMillen is a teenager from Jesusland, USA. She gained the help of the American Civil Liberties Union to file a law suit that would allow her to bring her girlfriend to the school prom as her date.

As a parent, I can sympathize with the discomfort one may have about gay and lesbian couples together openly at your child's prom.

While I support the rights of homosexuals, I must admit feeling a little uneasy when I contemplate my children going to a prom where homosexuals may show public displays of affection.

But on the date that I'm posting this my kids are now five and eight years old.

I believe I feel a slight uneasiness mainly because I'm still thinking of them in these terms when I imagine them at their senior prom. I don't want them to be overly exposed to the public display of affection by heterosexuals and homosexuals alike.


But I figure that by the time my kids are teenagers, they will be thoroughly exposed to homosexuality and will have their own opinions about it.

I mean-- my son has already seen two men kiss on television (we didn't see it coming). But you know what? He didn't seem to become suddenly overwhelmed with the desire to kiss other men all of a sudden.

So, I figure they will probably have discovered their own sexuality the time they've reached the prom. After all, puberty usually hits before the prom happens. They will know something about sex whether I like it or not-- even if they do abstain from sex and remain "straight".

I have to realize that they may even go through an exploratory phase (somebody shoot me) and try things that I might not feel comfortable with as their parent. But they will be turning into adults. These things cannot be totally avoided.

In light of that, I suppose I shouldn't get my boxers in a wad about homosexuals dancing together when my children finally attend their high school prom. This is a time when they are about to graduate and (hopefully) start their own lives soon afterwards.

All that, however, is really just a side note.

What I really want to say is that I tip my hat to Constance McMillen. She has done something brave in my opinion. She stood up for her sexual orientation in a politically hostile environment. Constance exposed herself to potential discrimination and the threat of assault for the sake of exercising freedom.

She's not in the closet about her lesbianism like I'm in the closet about my atheism.
I greatly respect that about her. To me, she should be commended.

Like Constance, I also live in Jesusland; I know this is not easy for her. Homosexuals and atheists are hardly viewed any differently by the fundamentalist citizens of Jesusland. The mentioning of homosexuals and atheists both draw funny faces from fundamentalists.

Eewww! They're both just so nasty and unholy!

To the fundamentalists, homosexuals and atheists are both headed straight for hell.

And we will bust (no, not burst--bust!) the bottom out.

Although . . . I thought the lake of fire was a bottomless pit. Who knows? Maybe atheists and homosexuals are the reason why hell has no bottom.

*shrug*

And while I say that Constance lives in Jesusland like I do-- I don't live in Fulton, Mississippi.

But, I bet I live closer to Fulton that you.

Except for you Mac. You probably have me beat by about 30 miles or so. But that makes sense. You live in Jesusland, too.

blog comments powered by Disqus